The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the New York City District Council of Carpenters will conduct a recruitment from July 1st, 2019 through July 15th, 2019 for 500 carpenter apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced.
Applicants must obtain a lottery card, in person, at the NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance), New York City, NY, from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. There will be no admittance after 9:00 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to complete a lottery card. Lottery cards will be available for 10 business days or until 500 lottery cards have been issued, whichever comes first. In order to receive a lottery card, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification. Once the lottery card is fully completed, the applicant will place the lottery card in a locked box.
Applicants who completed a lottery card will be randomly selected from the locked box as demand for carpenter apprentices is anticipated. Applicants who are selected will be mailed a letter to attend an initial applicant orientation. Applicants must arrive on time, or they will be disqualified from further consideration. At the start of the initial orientation, applicants will be given an application that must be completed and returned before the end of the orientation. At the conclusion of the orientation, applicants will be scheduled for an interview at a future date and will be provided with an instruction sheet which will include a list of documents that will be required if they are accepted into the program. Applicants who do not arrive on time to their scheduled interview will be disqualified from further consideration.
The Committee requires that applicants:
· Must be at least 17 years old at the time of application.
· Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
· Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade without posing a direct threat to the safety of themselves or others.
· Must pass a substance abuse screening, at the expense of the sponsor, within 48 hours of selection and prior to indenture. Applicants that do not pass the substance abuse screening will be notified and disqualified from further consideration.
· Must provide proof of any trade-related experience, certification, or education, after selection and prior to indenture.
· Must be a U.S. citizen or have the legal right to work in the United States. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
· Must have reliable means of transportation to and from various job sites and related instruction classes.
· Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or the NYC District Council of Carpenters JATC at (212) 727-2224.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.
Please enter your UBC number and your password below